Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

We took a ceiling fax out of our dining room....we put a

Customer Question

we took a ceiling fax out of our dining room....we put a light up,,,every time we turn the switch off, the breaker trips
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: can you help me with this problem
JA: What's the brand and model number of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: this is a brand new small chandelier
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: the new light when we turn it off the breaker trips
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: we have unhooked wires several times and made sure they were not loose and we are at a loss.....all black wires together ..and whites together and green grounded.....
JA: Anything else you want the electrician to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The ceiling box must contain multiple wires then and you have a mis-wired splice which is causing the breaker to trip.

2) How many total wires in the ceiling box and the wire colors?

3) Any white wires in the ceiling box been re-identified with black tape?

4) How many wires and the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch?

5) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter available to confirm the ceiling voltage as well as the return voltage from the switch leg? If no tester available and multiple wires exist in the ceiling box, then it becomes a time consuming guessing game as to which are the correct wires that need to be spliced to the light. If you don't have a voltage tester, I recommend that you obtain one as this can easily confirm the ceiling box wire functionality.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2 BLACK AN ONE WHITE IN BOX,,,,,SWITCH IS BLACK AND WHITE
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If the wall switch contains a white, the ceiling box must also contain 1 white. Should be 2 whites in the ceiling box, correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
THE CEILING FAN WE TOOK DOWN WORK ED FINE....LIGHT AND FAN WORKED FINE
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

I understand that.

1) Is the ceiling box and wall switch wired with Romex cable or conduit?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I DONT KNOW
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I HAVE DONE CHANGED LIGHTS BEFORE BUT NEVER HAD AN ISSUE....WHITE TO WHITE BLACK TO BLACK AND A GROUND
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
THERE WERE 2 BLACK BARE AND 1 WHITE....WHEN WE ATTATCHED THEY WORK, BUT FLIP BREAKER WHEN WE TURN THE SWITCH OFF
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Look at the main electrical panel, does it contain metal or PVC pipe or white and yellow Romex cables originating from the top of the panel?

or

Does the ceiling box or wall switch box contain a bare copper ground wire?

or

You can send me a picture of the opened ceiling box so I can see what you have in place?

Do you also have wall receptacles that are not working?

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If the wall switch contains a white wire, then this suggests that power is originating from the ceiling box and you have Romex cables.

The ceiling box should contain 2 separate white (house) wires then, is this what you have?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2W HITE COMING OUTTA THE JUNCTION BOX IN CEILING
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

That's what I thought. You originally said only 1 white wire in your 1st reply.

So confirm, the ceiling box contains 2 blacks, 2 whites and 2 bare coppers, correct?

Do you have a voltage tester?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HUSBAND SAID THERE ARE 3 WHITE WIRES
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

We are not getting anywhere as your answers keep changing:)

I need to know the total count and wire colors in the ceiling box. Only include the house wires. I don't care about the light fixture wires.

Do you have a voltage tester, yes or no?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NO VOLTAGE TESTER 3 WHITE 3 BLACK 3 GREEN THEY ARE CAPPED TOGETHER WITH ONE WIRE COMING OUT OF A CAP
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) One of the cables with a black and white wire will be the circuit feed that originates from the electrical panel.

2) The 2nd cable set will the the one that extends in and out of the switch

3) The 3rd cable is for downstream wall receptacles. You most likely have dead receptacles either in the same room or in an adjacent room.

4) The white wire that extends to the wall switch needs to get spliced to the cable that contains the circuit feed to that black wire.

Therefore at the ceiling box, 2 house blacks and 1 house white will splice together. 2 house whites will splice to the light white and the remaining house black will splice to the light black.

You need a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or a meter to confirm the wires. Otherwise, we will just be guessing. Anytime performing electrical work, a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester needs to be readily available. Perhaps you can borrow a tester from a neighbor or a friend or you can purchase a multi-meter from Home Depot or Lowe's for $25 or less.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

2) The 2nd cable set will the one that extends in and out of the switch

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Shown below is a diagram that I created that illustrates how the ceiling box needs to be spliced to the light fixture.

As you can see from the diagram, a 2 wire lead AC volt tester or a meter can easily confirm which cable is the always live circuit feed.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional know questions, just let me and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks...........Kevin:)