Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

We have been doing some cosmetic updates, changing out plugs

Customer Question

we have been doing some cosmetic updates, changing out plugs and switches - including a GFCI - all is well except for a group of plugs and a switches - There is power on the circuit and it isn't tripped, and the gfi isn't hooked to this set, and isn't tripped, but there is no power to the two sockets, 2 lights and several three way switches - I have take the switches and the sockets apart and checked for loose wiring and to ensure they were done properly and can't figure out where the issue is
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Are you making all connections to devices with the screws or the pushbacks?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
half and half, of the group that is out there there is no power to the wires period -
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but there is power to the breaker - I will add that we had an issue with the gfi and I was a bonehead and put a 20amp on a 15amp circuit and had to replace the breaker and the gfi, but that is all working correctly now - my wonder is if this is on the second 15 on the bd1515 breaker ?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

You more than likely have open circuits caused by the use of pushbacks. Pushbscks always fail.

I don't understand your last reply. "Bd2515"

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the circuit that blew was a bd1515 breaker - so we replaced it, the bottom 15 was the one that blew and wouldn't reset.. i'm wondering if the top 15 is to blame for this group -
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Twin breakers are independent except for their connection to the bus's. If the jaws are loose a bad connection produces heat which will trip the breaker, either or both poles.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok then that would rule out the breaker then - i'll go through each and move to screws and see if that fixes all
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm sure that it will.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no change - of that group i only changed one light switch and two plugs and a light fixture - they are all now screw and not pushbacks - and still none of the wires are hot, no power to any -
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the light fixture we changed to an LED fixture - would that cause anything?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Change of fixture should've matter. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a two wire tester, a socket tester and a "no touch" tester
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Test a dead outlet as follows

1) hot to neutral

2) hot to ground

Let me know the results

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The sockets have red, black and white as a three way - does that change your testing request
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

When receptacles are like that they are usually split on 2 circuits. Is the bridge between the black screws cut?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I know
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Look at the black screws. If there is a black on one and a red on the other, the metal between them should be cut.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that matters even if I can touch all wires as they are not hot?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry but I'm going to opt out. To troubleshoot a wiring problem takes more ability than I feel you have. I can't see that we will get to the end anytime soon.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ability ? Ok - try reading my notes. And not waste time asking things I've already addressed