Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

We impulsively bought (by mistake) as is what was advertised

Customer Question

We impulsively bought (by mistake) as is what was advertised on Amazon as a Sharp 220v 50hz model R - 84A0(ST)V Mwave / convection oven ("not for use in the USA") - didn't see that part till after - one that even sharpusa.com doesn't even have listed on their site - that uses a BS 1368 fused plug to use in place of the relic 220v electric stove in our small CHGO (ILL) apartment. In the manual there is a discrepancy; it lists the unit's requirement of 230-240v. Since we could not locate a NEMA L7-30 plug when in actuality it should be a L6-30 but the grounding pin faces out not in. At present I used the connection on the stove by removing the wires going out of the stove and unscrewed the fused plug and wired it into where the stove plugs into the stove. Bare in mind the fused plug is to handle fluctuations of 230-240v and honestly I don't know if our 220v-30 amp caps out at 220v
It's connected seamlessly thanks to the bracket on the stove - what I wanna know is if it's even worth a try plugging it in or should we scrap this route and get a step down transformer?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I have a better suggestion. Return the oven since it is made for European and Asian electrical systems (50 Htz) and not for the United States 60 Htz frequency that we are on.

2) Not worth messing around with transformers and such in my opinion. Nothing but a headache and an extra expense.

3) Go to Best Buy and purchase an oven that will work on the USA electrical distribution system.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)