Andy B
Andy B,
Experience:  Master Maintenance Electrician at Huntington Ingalls Industries

I have a mink aire fan and at some point it started only

Customer Question

Hey, I have a mink aire fan and at some point it started only going in reverse.. when i hit the reverse switch on the remote, nothing happens
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2 years now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: are you a real person
JA: I'm an assistant to the Electrician. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: ok
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issue. Please give me a few moments to respond with a proper answer. If you've found my services to be helpful, be sure to rate me at the end of my service so I will get credit for my help!

Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like you have fan on remote control. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a remote. It's model # CHQ8BT7053T.When it was working properly, after I hit the fwd/rev button, it would stop going in the direction it's moving and switch directions.Now when I press the button, I hear a buzz in motor, then it gets slower for a split second before getting faster for several seconds and then just going back to normal.We have four of these fans in our house and we've switched remote controls to see if that's the problem but it doesn't fix the issue.
Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

Are you familiar with the receiver the remote control communicates with? The receiver is located inside the "bell" housing of the ceiling fan. When your remote controlled fan starts acting up like that, the receiver will need to be replaced.

Let me know if this has fixed the issue. If so and you are pleased with my service, don't forget to rate. If not, i'm still here to answer any questions or concerns you may have!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We actually switched out the receiver with another unit to see if that would help, but it didn't.
Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

If you have eliminated the receiver being the issue that leaves me to believe its the fan motor itself unfortunately. Have you tried the fan without the remote and receiver to eliminate that as the issue?

Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

One other thing, before we deem the motor bad, replace the capacitor. The capacitor itself can make the fan to weird things with speed FWD/REV also.

Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

Capacitors vary how many wires, but this is generally how they look LINK(some can also be round). They often "bubble" when they start to go bad.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've attached some pics of the fan. I think the capacitor is the little black box with one red & white wire, can you confirm? Also do you see anything off with the capacitor, and is the item you suggested a good replacement? for this one?
Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

I see nothing wrong with the capacitor but that doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong with it either. Yes the capacitor is the little box with the red and white wire coming from it. The capacitor I linked is not a replacement for it, I wanted to give you a general idea of how it would look. I would take the capacitor off the fan and bring it to your local home depot or lowes and match it 1 for 1 so you know you have the right one.

Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

Make sure these numbers are the same on the one you will be getting:

Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

One other thing I'd like to ask. Can you spin the fan blades by hand and the go freely without resistance? If so, this is good and is most likely the capacitor failing.

Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

Also, if you find that this has fixed the problem and are satisfied with the service I've provided, please don't forget to rate. I like to remind because it is easy to forget.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fan manually spins freely in both directions. How would I replace the capacitor, not sure exactly where to take the wires out, should I take them out from the actual capacitor and put those wires into the new capacitor, or should I try to pull the wires out of the two connection points? ( both seem kind of permanently fixed).or do I cut the wires halfway and just twist them with a plastic cap to the new capacitor wires?attaching pics to help visualize.
Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

you can make it easy on yourself and cut the wires close to the old capacitor to give you more length so you can wire nut to the new one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks Andy. Last one probably - where can I find a capacitor? I checked but my local home depot doesn't have one, the ones on ebay are 4.5uf & 250VAC, and the writing on ours is 270 VAC.Is that a big deal? If not I'll order one of those, if it is, can you help me find the right model online?(I will leave you a rating, won't forget).
Expert:  Andy B replied 2 months ago.

Not a big deal at all. The 270VAC is what its rated for. It's only going to be seeing 120VAC anyways so the 250VAC is just fine.