Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I want to have my electric car output energy to my house in

Customer Question

I want to have my electric car output energy to my house in certain situations, much like a generator. I already have solar panels that produce energy for any demand within the house before passing excess out to the grid. How difficult would it be to do this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. If it was a viable means, many people would be doing it. An inverter working off a single car battery would be extremely limited in output. The cost of running the car to keep the battery would be expensive. The best alternative would be a generator.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Mike. Thanks for the reply.The battery is 24 kW, 400 volts. The specs are here: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery_specs
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What I'm looking to do is have it act like a generator and output energy into the house for short durations.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

It would be a very short duration and again, the cost of operation would be much greater that a small generator which would have a greater output for a longer period at a lesser cost of both the upfront cost and the operational cost. You can pick up a 4000watt gen set at Harbor Freight for $300.00

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My daytime energy use is covered by solar, with enough excess to charge to car to full. I have a lot of days where I don't need to go anywhere. So the idea is to pull energy from the car at night instead of the grid. I use about 8 kWh of electricity at night, and the car can store 24 kWh.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Well, if the numbers are satisfactory to you then no matter my opinion isn't a confirmation. I suggested what I would consider but the decision is yours.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do appreciate your suggestion, and ultimately I might do something like that if what I'm planning doesn't pan out. I guess what I'm asking is if a local electrician could hook up a large battery to a home similar to the way one would hook up a generator. I don't know enough about the subject to know if it's even feasible without specialized knowledge.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

You would need an inverter to take the 24VDC and change it to 120VAC. The cost of the inverter, battery and installation would much exceed the cost of a generator.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let's say I already have the battery and inverter. What would the installation and misc materials (wiring, etc) cost?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry but I'm not willing to go any further on the question. Having utility and solar interconnected presently and wanting to install your car electrical in my opinion is not advisable. I'll opt out and allow another expert to assist. Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, thanks for your help.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Rather than using an electric car battery to provide supplemental power to the home, why not increase the existing PV system by adding additional panels, a larger inverter and a larger battery bank to support the required loads? In other words, increase your PV kW output?

2) If using 3 separate power systems to the home such as the grid, PV panels and possibly an electric car battery, this application now requires more costly components to isolate all 3 systems from each other. Electric lithium car batteries are also very expensive when it comes time to replace them. Much more cost effective to increase the existing PV battery bank in my opinion.

3) Another option is to install the Tesla Powerwall system. This is still a costly application, but you wouldn't be using the electric car battery. The internal Powerwall battery can be charged directly from the PV panels.

See the Tesla link shown below:

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

4) I do not recommend using an electric car battery as these cost big bucks $$$$ to replace. Instead, leave the car battery to only serve the car as it was originally designed for.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)