Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I am looking to replace one of my GFCI outlets in the

Customer Question

I am looking to replace one of my GFCI outlets in the kitchen with a standard outlet that has built-in USB ports. The only things ever plugged into that outlet are a land-line phone and phone/tablet chargers. The GFCI outlet in place has a total of 5 wires connected while the standard only has 3. What do I do with the extra 2 wires?
Thanks,
Chris
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the receptacle is serving the kitchen countertop, it is required to be GFCI protected.

2) I recommend to leave the GFCI as-is and just purchase a plug-in adapter for the USB ports.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a reason it's required (besides code)? Nothing of substance is ever plugged into it other than the mentioned plug-in adapters.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

1) Kitchen countertop receptacles have been required to be GFCI protected since the 1987 NEC code. Therefore, it is a code requirement.

2) Countertop receptacles can always come into contact with water. Thus the reason for the GFCI code requirement.

3) Irregardless if only phones or tablets are plugged into the receptacle, if it is part of the countertop circuits, it is required to be GFCI protected.

4) Home Depot or Lowe's sell a variety of USB adapters that will just plug into the existing GFCI.

See link shown below:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N-5yc1vZc4o9/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-usb%2Boutlet?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)