Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

I have two 3 way switches with 4 lights between and all 12-3

Customer Question

I have two 3 way switches with 4 lights between and all 12-3 wire all wired per diagram I believe. However first light will not light and other three light then dim. I think I may be confused by the black changing to white wire?
Can you help?
Thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About 1:00 hour
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am doing the work now
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

Hi Matt.......just a few questions ...............this is all new or was it replaced? you know which 3 way switch box or ceiling box you have the feed coming into and which light was the first you went to?..........and the last 3 are hooked up straight black to black and neutral to neutral?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All brand new construction, I always struggle with 3 way switches! I do know which is the feeder box. First: switch is black feed to black screw, red wire to gold screw above black and black to light on gold screw opposite red wire
At the first light :
Black comes in and feeds white to next light
White goes to fixture
Red tied to red
Black comes from second fixture and feeds first light
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

yeah 3 ways can be vexing.........but we do need to start on the feed cable so we know how to fix this............use your tester to find out which and where it is'll shut the breaker ..........disconnect a cable at a time........hopefully it will be at one of the switch boxes .......put back on the breaker and test .............shut the breaker and then put it back the way it was for now but you have to find it ..........I think you crossed a neutral somewhere so keep the breaker off if you can

Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

I hope you found my answer to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!