Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

We are installing a 2 bulb kitchen ceiling light. We have 2

Customer Question

we are installing a 2 bulb kitchen ceiling light. We have 2 kitchen lights that were 1 bulb each and we are replacing with 2 bulbs each. I had the 2 black wires from the fixture to 1 black wire and the 2 white wires from the fixture to the 1 white wire from the ceiling. The light works but only with 1 working bulb or the other. 1 switch controls both light fixtures. Help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: does this make sense?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Andy B replied 10 months ago.

Hello there. My name is***** and i'll be helping you with your light fixture problem. "The light works but only with 1 working bulb or the other", could you clear this up for me?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when we turn the light switch on only 1 bulb lights up. If we unscrew that lighted bulb, the other one lights up. They won't light up at the same time
Expert:  Andy B replied 10 months ago.

Are both fixtures doing the same thing?

Have you checked your connections, both black and white? Sometimes a loose wire can cause some funny problems. Also, check to make sure you have both bulbs screwed in snug but not tight.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
currently, we only have one started. yes both bulbs are snug. the fixture has 2 white and 2 black wires. We only have 1 white and 1 black from the ceiling. Does that make a difference?
Expert:  Andy B replied 10 months ago.

No that doesn't make a difference. The other fixture you put up should have 2 white and 2 black coming from ceiling. Have you tried different bulbs? Sometimes you can get bulbs that are just bad that are new.

Sorry if these questions seem simple at first but, I have to get questions like these out of the way to troubleshoot further.

Expert:  Andy B replied 10 months ago.

Also, I'd like to know, is this a fluorescent light fixture?

Expert:  Andy B replied 10 months ago.

If you have checked everything I have stated above, try using the other light fixture in this ones place. This will tell us if there are loose wires in the fixture itself.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there are 2 additional white that are twisted together and 2 black that are twisted together from the ceiling. These are in addition to the 1 white and 1 black from the ceiling. Not fluorescent. I will try the other fixture
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
both bulbs work but not at the same time. One has to be unscrewed before the other one comes on
Expert:  Andy B replied 10 months ago.

Leave the 2 additional wires alone. They are just feeding through the box. Be sure to check the white wires. Things like this can happen because of improper back feed. Also, I highly suggest having both fixtures installed then see if the problem consists.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok. working on it now.
Expert:  Andy B replied 10 months ago.

Did any if this resolve your issue?