Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I purchased a new utiltech bathrrom light/fan unit and the

Customer Question

I purchased a new utiltech bathrrom light/fan unit and the wiring diagram is confusing. I am using 14/3 from switch to unit and the diagram shows one white leaving switch but two white wires going into unit. ??
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: the 14/3 only has one white wire. Do I pigtail them to the fan and light connector?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Not yet. I have gutted my bathroom so I ran new wires. I have line going to switch and 14/3 to unit.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

Hi somewhere along the line the wire probably went to a junction box and the white was swapped out for the red ............you need a tester to find out what wire is hot for your dual switch to operate (one for the fan one for the light) .................just wondering did you run a new wire the same way ............why didn't you hook it up the same if there was a light/fan there before?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had a separate light and fan unit. I removed old appliances and added a new utilitech light/fan combo unit. I have the line feed going to switch and I know which one is hot. I then ran 14/3 to unit.
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

so what you did was hook it up the same way on the switch and just ran it to a new locale ...........but does the feed come in at the switch gang box or the ceiling/fan box?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the feed comes into the switch bow anf then I ran 14/3 from the switch to the unit.
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

okay it is a straight hook up then ...........neutral should be directly from feed to the light ...........black to black from one switch and red to red from the other

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's what I thought. The unit has quick connector for both light and fan and each has white wire. I pigtailed the white wire from the 14/3 and connected to each white on unit. correct?
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

yes you got it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I have a new switch and I'll try it again.
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

you blew out a switch ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I couldn't tell on the existing switch which was common. I changed to new switch and all is fine. Thank you for all your help.
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

I am glad that worked out for you and you are up and running

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie