Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I'm replacing an old Nautilus fan/light combo with a NuTone

Customer Question

i'm replacing an old Nautilus fan/light combo with a NuTone 763n exhaust fan. I have a single switch that controls the fan/light simultaneously. I wired the ground from the hot line with the ground from the switch to the ground screw on the box. I connected the blue line to the black from the switch and to the black from the hot line. I also connected all the whites together. When I turn on the circuit, the breaker goes off. what am I doing wrong
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: in the last hour once I was ready to connect the power. I never had a problem previously
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i don't think so
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many wires and the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch?

2) How many house wires and the wire colors at the fan box?

3) Does the fan box contain a group of white wires that were originally splice together?

4) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a mulit-meter available?

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

1) Haven't heard back from you, do you still require assistance for your question? I saw that you viewed my original questions but have not received any replies?

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board since I have not heard back from you.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You misfired the connections. Connect as follows;

1) white to switch connected to black power. Mark the white with black tape to indicate it is being used as a hot.

2) black from switch connected to fan

3) whites together