Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

One of my soft touch paddle switches (non dimmer) stopped

Customer Question

one of my soft touch paddle switches (non dimmer) stopped working. The little light in the center is still light. what to do?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suggest NB opening the box and checking the wire connections. You may find a loose termination. If it is connected with the pushback connections, remove the wires and use the screw terminations.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If there is a light to the center of the paddle switch, wouldn't that suggest that it is getting power? Why would a soft-tap switch get a loose connection?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

The pilot may only need power but that is independent from the operation of the switch. You need to start somewhere, check the terminations.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will do. Back at you soon
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Terminations all look good
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? To continue troubleshooting you'll need one.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I spoke with Adorne and they think that the switch might be defective and are sending me a new one.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Might want to try putting the line and load wires together to make sure the light will work. If it does, the switch is bad. If it doesn't you have another issue. Good luck.