Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Perhaps, just starting to install a Utiltech in-wall time in

Customer Question

hi Jason...yes, perhaps
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just starting to install a Utiltech in-wall time in a 3 gang switch box
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: if I can
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the switch I want to control only has 2 wires, but the timer has 4...not sure how to connect
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the model number of the Utilitech timer?

2) Does the wall switch contain a a LINE and LOAD side white neutral wire?

3) How many wires and the wire colors that are terminated to the existing switch that you want to replace?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Utilitech TM029-1
Not sure about ques 2 - can you explain further
2 wires currently terminate to the switch-both are black
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

I'm having difficulty locating wiring instructions for this model. Did you purchase it Home Depot or Lowe's?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lowes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can take a pic and attach for you
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

For some reason, it does not show up on the Lowe's web site.

I'm pretty sure this timer model requires a line and a load white neutral connection. Does the timer also have 2 white wires labeled as line and load?

Does the wall box contain a group of white neutral wires that are spliced and wire nutted together?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
here is diagram...
it has 4 wires - Red, Black, White, and Green
yes, I think the white neutrals are wired and nutted together in the box
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the pic, that helps.

1) The timer red wire will splice to the light fixture load wire

2) The timer black wire will splice to one of the other black wires from the prior switch. You will need to identify which of the 2 black wires is the hot. The hot wire will splice to timer black. If you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or a multi-meter, this will identify which of the 2 black wires is the hot circuit feed.

3) Splice the timer white neutral to the group of white neutrals in the box that are wire-nutted together.

4) Splice the timer green ground wire to any other green or bare copper ground wires in the box. If the box is metal, you can also terminate the timer green ground to the metal box using a green threaded ground screw.

Reply back to me and let me know if working correctly and we can take it from there if necessary.........Thanks..........Kevin:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good...I think I can do that, and I do have a test meter...thanks!
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

OK, very good.

Yes, make sure you identify which of the 2 black wires is the always live hot wire. Otherwise, if reversing the 2 black wires, you may damage the timer as these contain sensitive electronics inside.

Reply back and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will, thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

OK, cool.

Thanks:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Kevin, are you still there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found the hot, neutral and ground for the switch I am replacing with the timer. But it looks like the fixture box load (red) wire is connected to a different switch in the gang box. Will i have to somehow cut and connect the red timer wire to that?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, what do I do with the other black (neutral) wire that currently connects to the switch that I am replacing with the timer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Or...do I wire timer red to black switch hot and timer black to switch black neutral? (stepping away from PC for a while...will check back later). thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

1) Your original switch did not contain a white neutral wire, only the new timer requires a neutral connection.

2) The timer red gets spliced to the load wire to the light. The 2nd timer black gets spliced to the hot circuit feed hot black wire

3) Black wires are not neutral wires, they are either a hot wire or a switched loop wire. White wires are neutral wires.

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)