Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Currently, a duplex has two meters and one drop. The two

Customer Question

Currently, a duplex has two meters and one drop. The two meters are connected from jumpers from the top side of the main... Is this okay or do we need a separate drop and have to hook each meter separately?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Per Article 230.2 in the National Electrical Code, (1) one service drop is supplied from the serving utility. Although there are a few exceptions to this requirement.

2) A duplex will typically have either (1) one overhead or (1) one underground service to the dwelling. A meter pack is then installed to provide separate metering to each unit and a separate means of disconnect is also installed for each duplex unit.

3) Your set up with (1) one drop is code compliant.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)