Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a chandelier that was hard wired and I just converted

Customer Question

I have a chandelier that was hard wired and I just converted it to have a plug. When I tried to plug it in the socket sparked and popped and then the power to that and a couple other plugs stopped. Any idea how to make sure I didn't cause any issues and get the power back to those plugs?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Did you replace the light fixture and install a receptacle? Can you send me a picture so I can see what you have in place?

2) How many wires and the wire colors in the ceiling box?

3) How many wires and the wire colors on the chandelier?

4) How many wires and the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch that controls the chandelier?

5) Any white wires in he ceiling box that have taped with black electrical tape?

6) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter available?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am just plugging it into the wall. I attached a 2 prong plug by threading the existing chandelier wires into the new plug head. The light works when plugged into other outlets, but this was the first outlet I plugged it into.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Turn the breaker to the OFF position and back the wall receptacle out from the wall box but do not disconnect any wires. Look for a loose wire termination either in a back-stab receptacle hole or a faulty splice.

2) The receptacle sparked due to arcing taking place. This indicates a loose wire termination or a faulty splice.

Reply back and let me know how it goes...........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok...is this dangerous and needs to be fixed ASAP or is it just an inconvenience?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

1) Needs to be corrected ASAP. Arcing can cause a fire/safety issue. If not able to be corrected ASAP, I recommend to leave the circuit breaker in the OFF position.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks. Any idea why this happened when I had just used the outlet without issue an hour before and the light worked in other outlets?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

I also suggest to try the following Wiggle Procedure:

Wiggle Procedure:

You have a circuit with dead outlets and maybe some dead lights on it or you’re experiencing flickering on a circuit. You will need a 2 wire voltage tester to check the outlet. A Multimeter or a Volt/Con are suggested. I prefer the Volt/Con because there are no settings to make, it does continuity and is audible. Success begins with knowing what you’re looking for.

1] No voltage reading between the hot and the neutral or ground indicates an open hot.

2] No reading between the hot and the neutral but 120V between the hot and ground and 120V between the neutral and ground indicates an open neutral.

3] No continuity between the neutral and ground – Check for tripped GFCI device first

4] If all the branch circuit breaker are on you have a bad connection on the hot or neutral wires. The usual cause is a bad connection, either a termination on a device or connection in a wire nut. Over the years I’ve found the easiest way to locate the opening needing examination and correction is to wiggle the devices.

5] The first step in this exercise is to get a lamp to act as an alert. Make sure the lamp works and in the on position. You may also use something like a vacuum cleaner or blow dryer, for an audible alert. Don’t use anything electronic, like a radio.

6] Plug it into a dead outlet.

7] Now with a cube tester or any plug you will need to go to all the dead outlets and any live outlets in the area, insert the plug and wiggle the device side to side slightly. Watch the test lamp or listen for the other alerts as you wiggle the devices. If the loose or bad connection is present the wiggle action may make it contact briefly and the lamp or the other things will alert you . Having found the suspected outlet all that is left is to correct the bad connection.

If the device is a push back wired device, this probably is the cause of the circuit failure. All wires must be terminated under the screws. Also you should never put more than one wire under a screw. This troubleshooting procedure works in most cases and won’t have you open boxes un-necessarily.

Keep in mind that the problem is in one of two places in the circuit, either in the first dead outlet or the live outlet just ahead of it.

Wires terminations and/or splices will expand and contract due to heat. 1 minute the receptacle may be working correctly and the next minute it may not work or may spark. This is typically due to a loose wire termination.

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)