Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I had an emergency call this morning, a 200 amp 3 phase

Customer Question

I had an emergency call this morning, a 200 amp 3 phase metermain w/ commercial bypass burnt out. The existing meter has the line side coming into the top and the load side going out the bottom, the problem is that the only replacement available has only bottom access. Could i use this meter or do i need one with both top and bottom and not just bottom
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Meters are the property of the utility. Replacements are their responsibility and will be an exact replacement.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In Hawaii the contractors provide the meter socket. Utility company will not touch the socket. So what you are saying is that i need a top and bottom feed meter socket?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Your question made me think it was a meter replacement not the socket. You need a socket approved by the utility.