Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Had a light switch installed off of the double light switch

Customer Question

had a light switch installed off of the double light switch on the other side of the wall. There are two cables with a black wire and a white wire in each coming out of the wall behind the new switch. The electrician hooked up one black wire to each screw in the new switch and tied off the white wires. The new switch works fine, but the outlet on the same wall no longer works. The outlet worked before the new installation.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

a double light switch was taken out and a single light was put back ?.......because one operated the outlet for a lamp or something

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No a new switch was added behind the double switch. The plug outlet on the same wall where the new switch was installed was workingin prior to the installation of the new switch, but is not working now.
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

the outlet did work off of a switch though?........... for a lamp?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the outlet was not dependent on a switch. When I jiggle the two cables coming out of the wall behind the new switch, one seems to go to the light that the new switch controls and the other to the outlet that has not been working since the new installation.
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

there is as loose connection somewhere .......you will have to retrace and make sure all the connections are tight and no wire had snapped under a cap perhaps..........I would say the best place to start is where you were jiggling those wires ...........always turn off the power at the breaker before attempting to work on a circuit

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All wires have been checked and rechecked None are loose.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did not receive a solution for my problem. Will have to call in an electrician. Would like to request a refund from "justanswer.com".
Expert:  Eddie replied 4 months ago.

hi if you don't rate me I will not get credit for the answer ..........we have nothing to do with billing so for the other part you would contact customer service