Experience:  Journeyman Electrician, Lead Man (Sub-Foreman) at Romanoff Electric

I have Briggs & Stratton (GE) Home Standby Emergency 13Kw

Customer Question

I have Briggs & Stratton (GE) Home Standby Emergency 13Kw Generator Model 040324-00. It was working fine and one day voltage output was erratic but RPMs stable. Generator was shutting down and re-starting 3-4 times until FC_04 "Generator Not Started" alarm tripped because ATS did not sense a good steady voltage. Frequency is at 62Hz no load. I replaced AVR with the new model part# ***** (replaces obsolete model 205479GS). Now voltage is at 150 VAC True RMS but I do not know how to adjust it down to 120 VAC.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 2 months ago.

Hello Noel, welcome to just Answer/ Pearl my name is***** and I will try to answer your electrical question today.

I assume " AVR" is the automatic voltage regulator , I looked through some manuals and was having difficulty finding the part number. It seems to me this new regulator was configured wrong at the factory and you may have to go into your advanced settings menu of your control panel and adjust the voltage output parameters. The instructions I found are on page 32 of the operators manual I found, this may not be the exact model number though. I couldn't find a 040324-00 I found a 040374-00. The operation should be similar, however.

Here is the link to the manual:

I hope the advanced settings let you solve this problem, the next step would be to contact GE about your situation. I hope that answers your question, this thread will remain open and I will try to assist you further for some time. Thank you for using JA/ Pearl , please do not forget to rate me and have a wonderful day !

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your response. I regreat to say that my model is older and the operator oanel does not have a menu for adjustments. My model is
I have inquire several techs and it have been very dificult to find where is the voltage adjustment for this model.
Can you verify if this model has a voltage adjustment ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago. # 040324GE-00Now the complete model number.

Hello again Noel , I am very sorry for my mistake earlier, the model and link information you gave me is very helpful. I have found that Briggs and Stratton claim to still sell the outdated AVR here:

Also I found a list for the part# ***** which is supposed to be a replacement for the original under the list your model did not appear as found here:

So as far as a voltage adjustment on the new AVR , as far as I can tell there is none that a customer could make , which means it's up to a GE / Briggs and Stratton tech to tweak as it's out of my expertise. That being said I still believe my professional opinion is that you were given the wrong replacement AVR , and this needs to be fixed for your generator to run again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thanks a lot.

Sorry i couldn't have been more help, I hope one of the other experts might, but it's not a common issue electrician's deal with. I will opt out of the thread maybe you'll find another answer, have a good night .