ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.

I have a 200 amp pedestal already installed. The inspector

Customer Question

I have a 200 amp pedestal already installed. The inspector doesn't accept 200 amps and it has to be changed to 100 amps. I would like to know if it's possible to change only the panel from 200 to 100 amps and keep the old pedestal box which is already laid in concrete? Thank you
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to

It is certainly possible to do this by removing the 200A Main Breaker and installing a 100A Plug-On Breaker. The Plug-On Breaker would then be fed INTO the lugs on this breaker and feed the panel. To use this option, a bracket has to be installed to hold the breaker in olace. This reduces the chances of someone unplugging the breaker whike it is still hot from the meter or other source.

The big question is, will the inspector accept this option? He has the final word.

What is the make & model of the panel? With this info I will search for the bracket that you need.

Again though, since the inspector has the final word, I recommend running this by him/her before you make any changes to get prior approval. This is a code recognized option.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.

Here is a link to a picture of one of these devices, most auto manufacturers have them but they look different from each manufacturer.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.