Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Yesterday, I went to "zap" something in our microwave, and

Customer Question

Yesterday, I went to "zap" something in our microwave, and it immediately died. I tried pushing the "restart" on the GFCI outlet, but it wouldn't reset. I then found out that the other GFCI's were the same way, although nothing else was being used on them at the time. I figured the circuit breaker kicked in, but all of the circuit breakers in the box, are still "ON". I have also tried the microwave on another circuit, and it works fine, as do other items (toaster, coffee pot, etc.) that were on that circuit. I'm confused about what might have happened. Any ideas?
Les
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The problem is most likely that a ground fault has occurred in one of the receptacle boxes......ie......... a short circuit due to either a loose wire termination or a faulty splice or a hot wire came into immediate contact with a neutral or a bare copper ground wire.

2) I suggest to remove the LOAD side wires from the GFCI receptacle and then reset and test the GFCI without any LOAD on it. If the GFCI works, then the problem is downstream from the GFCI. If the GFCI does not work correctly when temporarily removing the the LOAD side terminations, then possibly a faulty GFCI.

3) Visual inspections will be required at each of the downstream wall receptacle boxes to confirm where the ground fault is occurring.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)