Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am helping a friend out all of her lights blew at one time

Customer Question

I am helping a friend out all of her lights blew at one time after something got plugged in no nothing works and her voltage at the top of main where power comes in is 220 but when I rest each contact separately one reason 0 other reads 230 could this be her main breaker going bad?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It's just happened a few days ago she turned the power off for now to be safe
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: So it was caused by someone who thought the knew wiring and tried to put a end in a wore and then plugged it in
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Did no consult electriacn and I saw lanes that's said 1987 not sure if it was updated it has breakers not fuses
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You need to test wires on the incoming feeder on both line and load of the main breaker for 240V. You also need to test from line to the neutral for 120V. Let me know the readings for comment.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I did line to load I got the 240 but when I did line to neutral if I remember correctly the right one was 0 and left was 240
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Turn all the breakers off and test lug to lug on the breaker and then each to the neutral.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will have to get up there to do that
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Get up there???? You shops be testing at the panel.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not at the house at the moment and yes all the testing I did was from the panel I am just trying to help a friend
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Typo --- should

Let me know the reading with all breakers off as directed.