Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Ok, just bought a house and one room has a fan with light.

Customer Question

Ok, just bought a house and one room has a fan with light. The switch for the fan is a dual slider for multiple fan speeds and dimmer for light. With the fan and light on full you can plug in a light to one outlet in the room and it turns off the fan and light.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suspect there is a loose connection on the receptacle. Open the box and check for either a loose screw termination or the terminations in a pushback. If a pushback, they always fail and the device will need to be wired to screw terminations.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Weird thing... When I proved the hot side of the outlet I question it shuts down the fan. That is to say I ONLY probed he hot and left the neg probe off. So when you push something into the hot part of the outlet it shuts down the fan. It isn't anything to do with plugging something in because you can prove the neutral slot or the ground and it doesn't do anything. Only when you physically probe the hot slot in the outlet.
And the other weird thing is the outlet has power when the fan and its light are off.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Either the hot or the neutral is physicly breaking connection on the out going wires. You need to verify both. Are the wires terminated under screws or in pushbacks? If pushbacks, that is where the failure is.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Il check.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.