Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have a junction box with 4 wires connected. the wire is #

Customer Question

I have a junction box with 4 wires connected. the wire is # ***** and one of the wires has an additional red wire coming into the box. It is connected to another line with a red wire that goes to a wall switch. However there is nothing connected to that switch. I want to install a porch light and attach it to the switch. However I do not know what to do with the red wire as the light only has black and white wires. Can I eliminate the red at the switch and cap the incoming red in the junction box?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: one day. I connected the wires in the way that I described and it blew the circuit breaker.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: It is in an old house from the early 1900s. However the original knob and tube was replaces with the current romex.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is a simple fix, I have a limited amount of experience with electric repair and would like to save the cost of ahiring an electrician and do it myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am not sure which line in the junction box is the power source. I have traced the wire from the blown circuit breaker but it does not seem to go into the junction box.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. In as much as the house has modified knob and tube that red wire may be in use for one of several reasons. I suggest that you leave it as it was and make your installation I another manner. New outlets should never be added to knob and tube.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no knob and tube in the house currently. you say to make the installation. How do I do this when there is an extra red wire coming to the switch?