Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a 220 volt outlet on my generator (4 pin) I need to

Customer Question

I have a 220 volt outlet on my generator (4 pin)
I need to plug in my 220 volt welder (3 pin)
I have the materials to make an adapter but need advice on wiring it
Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What is the NEMA rating for the generator receptacle? A twist lock NEMA 14-30R receptacle? A 30 amp receptacle?

2) I assume that the welder only requires a 30 amp/240 volt connection (NEMA rated 6-30P) which does not require a neutral wire and only 2 hot wires and 1 ground wire, is that correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Welder is 50 amp.
Generator is 50 amp with 34.5 amp breaker due to generator output.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My email is***@******.***
I am about to lose my internet connection
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the pic's.

1) The gen set contains a neutral wire which is not required for the welder. The gen set receptacle is a NEMA 14-50R. The welder is a NEMA 6-50P plug which does not require a neutral wire.

2) Simple project, purchase a 3 wire cord with 6 AWG copper conductors and install a NEMA 14-50P plug but do not connect the neutral wire to it. The NEMA 14-50P will plug into the gen set. At the welder end of the cord, install a NEMA rated 6-50R which will only contain the 2 hots and 1 equipment ground and no neutral wire. The equipment grounding conductor can be sized as small as 10 AWG copper. The 2 hot conductors in the cord will require 6 AWG copper.

3) Since the gen set has the capability of cranking out a combo voltage of 120 & 240, by not connecting the neutral wire at the gen set plug, the gen set will only provide 240 volts plus a ground to the welder.

4) Shown in the link below is a NEMA chart for the cord receptacle and plug ends.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrEWDaRopJXN2sAOfpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMjdoMW11BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE3MjJfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=NEMA+Chart&fr=yfp-t#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2F0.tqn.com%2Fw%2Fexperts%2FElectrical-Wiring-Home-1734%2F2010%2F08%2Fnema-chart.gif&action=click

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)