Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

We replace the light in the bedroom and now it wont shut

Customer Question

We replace the light in the bedroom and now it wont shut off. We then what a switch and then bought another new Switch. It's not the switch the light won't shut off what do we do
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The problem is due to the light fixture was spliced to an always live wire and is not spliced to the switched loop wire in the ceiling box.

2) Give me the individual count of wires and the individual wire colors in the ceiling box?

3) Also give me the count of the wires that are terminated on the wall switch and the associated wire colors at the switch box?

4) If needed, do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC multi-meter available?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are six wires there is too black to white 2 uninsulated. The two uninsulated I know our ground there is two blacks and two whites and I don't know which one signifies live and which one doesn't
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The light the we are installing has two white wires two black wires and one ground wire
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The switch only requires three wires ground wire and neutral
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) a standard wall switch does not utilize a neutral wire unless it is an occupancy sensor or a certain other type of wall switch device.

2) Also give me the count of the wires that are terminated on the wall switch and the associated wire colors at the switch box?

3) If needed, do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC multi-meter available?

4) Excluding the green ground screw on the switch, how many other screws on the switch?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are two screws on the switch excluding the ground
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are only 3 wires in the Box on the wall the box in the ceiling has 6
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We do not have an AC tester sorry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is what we have tried we have tried switching the wires such as attaching the white wire to the black wires on the light fixture itself and then in turn attaching the black wire from the ceiling to the white wire on the wall fixture
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

OK, one more time.............what are the 2 wire colors that are terminated to the switch? 2 blacks or 1 black and 1 white or other? I need to know the switch wire colors?

Back the switch out from the wall box and tell me the wire colors?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know I think this is out of scope of practice and I just need to call an electrician
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) It sounds like you have 2 separate Romex cables installed in the ceiling box. 1 cable will be the always live circuit (hot & neutral). The 2nd cable is extending to the wall switch. Most likely, the wall switch originally had 1 white and 1 black wire terminated to it.

2) Pick 1 cable and splice it's black wire to the other cable white wire. Then splice the 2nd cable white neutral to the light neutral wires. Then splice the remaining black wire to the light fixture black wires.

3) If you can obtain a voltage tester, this is a simple 10 second test to confirm which of the ceiling wires are the circuit feed.. Without a tester, it becomes a method of trial & error. Any time doing electrical work, you always have to have a multi-meter readily available.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's kind of what I have a feeling that the wires are screwed up. Does the ground wire matter when you're doing the combinations??
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Ground wires are either green or bare copper. They all get spliced together. Doesn't matter if they are green or bare copper.

Black or white wires never get spliced to a green or a bare copper ground wire.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Based on the wire quantity and wire colors int the ceiling box, I suspect the diagram shown below is what you have in place.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)