Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I have one room in my house where the lights flicker a bit.

Customer Question

I have one room in my house where the lights flicker a bit. I had an electrician replace the breaker at the breaker box (2 15amp switches) and the problem stopped for a while. It's doing it again.
I went ahead and took all the receptacles and switches out of the wall. Some were old 'stab' types with no screws on the sides which I replaced...the rest I checked the connections and re-tightened where necessary. But the lights are still flickering.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Somewhere in the circuit you have a loose wire. Could be a faulty splice or at a device back-stab connection.

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC multi-meter available?

3) How many lights? Are the lights all ceiling mounted type or any plug-in table lamps?

4) How many wall switches control the lights? Are the wall switches single pole or 3-way types?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No tester. All lights...the bathroom, and all the receptacles flicker when I attach a lamp. Three wall switches, one for a wall receptacle, one for the bathroom light and one for the bath fan (which also exhibits fluctuation when on.)
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) In order to locate the problem, you will need a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multi-meter. Get a tester and we can continue.

2) Perhaps you can borrow a tester from a neighbor or a friend? If not, Home Depot or Lowe's sell multi-meters for around $25 or less.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well...can't get my hands on a tester right now...and it looks like the cost of this web advice will just keep escalating to the tune of @ $20-25.00 a round, which I can't afford. Not sure I got much for my first 21.00, so let's just end it now.