Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Trying to replace a 4 prong dryer cord with a 3 prong dryer

Customer Question

Trying to replace a 4 prong dryer cord with a 3 prong dryer cord and directions online are conflicting
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What are you having problems with? Please provide details.

2) How many wires in the dryer circuit? 3 or 4 wires or is the circuit installed with metal conduit?

3) Is the wall receptacle a 3 prong type?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The dryer is an old maytag Neptune with a 4 prong cord. I was able to remove the 4 prong simply by removing the back panel and disconnecting the cord. The green wire was connected to a bolt on the exterior of the machine. There are 3 connection points inside the dryer where the remaining wires were attached.I understand the 3 prong lines go to the connections on the inside with the center line attached to the center (neutral) connection. My problem is that the instructions I found say to disconnect the white wire from the center and attach it to where the green wire was. The center connection has 2 white wires leading to it, one from the top, and a second from the bottom. the second white wire is removable and I wanted to make sure that was the wire I needed to pull and reconnect to where the green wire was.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wall receptacle is 3 prong, which is why I'm doing this. :)
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) The dryer frame should contain a green ground screw. There may be a jumper strap attached to the green frame ground screw. If so, the jumper strap needs to be bonded to the middle neutral screw terminal. If no jumper strap, then you need to jumper the green ground screw to the middle neutral screw terminal using a 3 or 4 inch piece of green insulated 10 AWG copper wire. This will bond the dryer ground frame to the neutral which is code compliant for a 3 wire circuit.

2) The 2 exterior screws are for the 2 hot wire connections.

3) Refer to the diagram shown below. Reply back to me with any questions and let me know how you make out and we can take it from there if needed.........Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)