Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

When using a plug-in electrical outlet tester, what does it

Customer Question

when using a plug-in electrical outlet tester, what does it mean when all three lights come on (red,amber,amber)? does it mean there's no ground? My house was built in 1955. thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Most likely no ground exists. Homes built up until the mid 60's were typically not grounded.

2) 3 prong cube testers are also known to provide false indications. The best and recommended testing instrument is to use either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC multi-meter.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thankyou
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

1) Obtain a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or a multi-meter and I will be happy to walk you thru the testing process to confirm if the receptacles are wired properly. Very simple process:)

2) Since the home was built in 1955, grounding was not common. If the home contains any 3 prong receptacles, a high probability that they are boot leg grounded which is a code violation unless they are protected by an upstream GFCI. 3 prong cube testers inserted onto a bootleg grounded receptacle will provide a false indication. Thus the reason to always have a 2 wire lead tester available.

3 prong receptacles were not sold or installed in 1955. They didn't come out until the mid 1960's. So not sure if the home contains 2 or 3 prong receptacles or a mixture of each or if equipment grounds exist or not? If using a 3 prong tester, this suggests that the home has 3 prong receptacles.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
very helpful answer, thankyou very much!
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)