machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician
Experience:  AC/DCElectricity / Relay and apparatus/circuit reading/ 30 yrs Bell South
75209918

I have a Hampton Bay PK610543 Power Unit that I want to use

Customer Question

I have a Hampton Bay PK610543 Power Unit that I want to use for some landscape lighting. It has three terminals High, Low and Common. When do I use the High or Low Terminals, can I use both for different light circuits?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
If you dont know the voltage of the terminals you should read them with s volt meter.
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
The common can be used as one side of a curcuit using either high or low for the other side.
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Treat common as ground or negative .
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Once you know the voltage of high and low you can match them to some proper lights of the same voltage .
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
I will see if I can get some specific information and a link and get back to you in a few minutes.
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
The terminal marked low is likely 12 volts and the high is often 15v .
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
If using just one or two lights close to the power supply you would use the low or 12 volt terminal
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
The further away or the more lights on the (circuit) the lights will dim.
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
In that case you would use the high or 15 volt circuit.
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Note: if you place a single 12 volt light on the high or 15 volt circuit it will burn brightly and possibly burn out in a relatively short time if not immediately.
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Use the high or 15volt terminal for a long run with multible lights on it. If the bulbs appear to be brighter than desired or brighter than normal then move that run to the low or 12 volt terminal
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Through a little experimentation and trial and error it shouldn't take long to decide which circuit ( terminal) to use
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Note:
Low:
Common:
12volt circuit
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Note:High:
Common:
15 volt circuit
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Note:
Both low and high circuits can be used at the same time sharing " common " as one side of both circuits.
Some slight voltage drop or dimming of the lights may occur when using both at the same time.
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Note:
The size of the wire , the numbervof lights , and the length of the run will affect the final voltage and brightness of the lights.I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Expert:  machinc replied 4 months ago.
Note: : the voltage/wattage of the lights is also a factor.