Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Light fixture is making a popping noise. Is it safe if I

Customer Question

Light fixture is making a popping noise. Is it safe if I keep it turned off until an electrician can check it out?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) For safety reasons, I recommend to turn the branch circuit breaker that controls the light fixture to the OFF position and leave it OFF until the problem can be inspected and corrected.

2) An electrical popping noise is an indication of an electrical arc taking place. As long as the circuit breaker is OFF, then the circuit is shut down and no longer presents a safety issue.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The light fixture has two bulbs. Only one of the bulbs can be placed in the light, because fragments of the previous bulb broke off in the other bulb holder. Could this be the cause of the popping noise?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

1) The popping noise can either be caused by loose wires or a faulty splice inside the box. If the socket contains any particles of loose metal, this can also create a popping noise.

2) If any of the box wiring insulation contains burnt marks, then that is an electrical arc which can result in a potential fire issue. Thus the reason to kill power to the circuit breaker until the problem can be inspected and corrected.

3) If the bulb socket contains the broken base from the light bulb, then turn the breaker to the OFF position and use a pair of insulated needle nose pliers to un-screw the old light bulb metal base portion. Inspect the inside socket. Install a new light bulb and then turn the breaker back to the ON position. If no more noise, then the problem was the bro***** *****ght bulb. If noise is still occurring ,then leave the breaker OFF until further inspection.

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help! =)
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

Don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)