Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Hunter fan with fan and light switched separately at wall

Customer Question

hunter fan with fan and light switched separately at wall switches, fan works, light does not I did some troubleshooting and I got power at a black wire in fan bottom section, then there is a white thin wire that goes to a rectangular component, from there the second wire from that component goes to the wire that goes to the light. At the light there is no power. I think maybe the rectangular component is bad? The rectangular component is very small like 3/8" X 1" approx. Any ideas what else could be wrong, or is the white component bad. If it is were can I get one?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be aszsisting you. The component described is a Watt limiter. They are to limit the size of lamps for energy conservation. If you have voltage up to it but none after, you either have it overlamped or it failed. You can bypass it for a test
. Let me know how you do.