Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a 10kw gaurdian series standby generator and it has

Customer Question

i have a 10kw gaurdian series standby generator and it has been in service for 4 years . 2 weeks ago it fail to start for its normal weekly exercise, message no rpm sensed. clearing the message and manual start gives the same results. I monitored the battery when attempting to start and there was no change in the reading of 13.5 volts. i placed the meter on the starter solenoid connection and pressed the manual button, 0 volts. I do hear a relay click on in the control module. could there be a fault in the control board or is there any other conditions that would lock out the starter motor?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  mrromex replied 11 months ago.

hi this is John and will try and help you..........during cranking if the board does not see a valid rpm signal within 3 seconds it will shut down and send a RPM Sensor Loss display........a common cause of rpm sensor loss fault is the lack of engine cranking which could be caused by a faulty crank circuit or a faulty starter

Expert:  mrromex replied 11 months ago.

normally a generac tech would have to run specific diagnostic tests to determine exact cause of fault. any other testing done could cause harm to unit......I would suggest to contact generac for a tech near you to service.