JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-
JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-,
Experience:  Journeyman Electrician, Lead Man (Sub-Foreman) at Romanoff Electric
93576554

This is a question electrician. What is the difference

Customer Question

This is a question for an electrician. What is the difference between 208 volt and 240 volt ? Can I run a pump that is 240 volt on 208 volts ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 4 months ago.

Hello welcome to Just Answer/ Pearl , I will try to answer your electrical question today !

As a general rule of thumb equipment/ esp motors have to operate within 10% of their specified input voltage.

So the question is , if your pump is nameplate rated for 240 volts you the 208 volt system would actually have to have a phase voltage of about 216 volts minimum to stay above under-voltage values.

If a motor is running on under-voltage for an extended period of time the motor is running on increased current that will increase the heat inside and where the motor out quicker. A lot of motors nameplates designate operation at 230 volts , if your pump nameplate has that designation , than your 208 volt system will be just over the minimum required to operate with in the 10% as long as their aren't many fluctuations with your input voltages the motor will operate.

I hope that answers your question , please don't forget to rate me , and thank you for using Just Answer / Pearl. If you need further assistance this thread will remain open for some time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if my generator is at 208 volts can you get a 120 volt out of it ?

It could be, have to measure the voltage to the center tap winding/ ground on the out put of your generator.