Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

2 bathrooms in a condo. 1 dedicated GFI breaker serves a 110

Customer Question

2 bathrooms in a condo. 1 dedicated GFI breaker serves a 110 outlet in each bathroom. No other connections on the line that we can find. Nothing plugged into the outlets. On the backside of one a new outlet was installed for a washing machine. requirement was 15 amp. GFI is 15 amp. No problem so far. When we tried to use the washing machine, after about 15 minutes the breaker trips. No other loads on the line. Ran a drop cord from the washing machine to another outlet in the house and it ran without a problem. Can the GFI breaker be bad and is there anyway to check it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. To begin with, the bathroom outlets need to be on one GFCI circuit and the laundry on another GFCI circuit. I suggest installing a new circuit for the laundry. That's code.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's not my question. I'm asking if the breaker is bad.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Chances are not. The bathroom loads, which you're not sure of is being overloaded by the washing machine. It isn't tripping when not powering g the washing machine.