Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I want to replace my old Honeywell fan/light switch with a

Customer Question

I want to replace my old Honeywell fan/light switch with a Legrand preset dimmer/ fan control. There are 3 wires coming out of the wall, a red one that is capped and a white one and a black one that are connected to the old switch. The new switch has 2 yellows(one flagged for 3 way), 2 reds (one flagged for three way) ,1 black and 1 green. What goes to what?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Sorry, but the model number on the Legrand does not come up in any of the databases. Please double check the model number and provide to me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It comes from Lowes.its a legrand preset dimmer and fan control. There are no other numbers on the packaging or unit. If you want to FaceTime I can show you the unit and the wires in the box . My # ***** ***** 298- 5102
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks...........I located the instruction sheet on the Legrand website.

1) This switch is a combined switch model where 1 switch is to control the fan and the other switch is to control the fan light kit.

2) Since the existing switch only contains 1 black and 1 white and the red wire is capped off, is there also a red wire at the ceiling fan box? How is the fan and light kit currently wired at the ceiling box? What wire colors are spliced together?

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

1) Your existing wall switch wiring configuration indicates that the old switch is a single pole switch that is simultaneously over riding both the ceiling fan and light kit where the fan and light kit are then individually controlled by pull chains, is that correct?

2) The Legrand model is meant to individually control the fan motor speeds and the light kit as 2 separate functions. All depends if the fan ceiling box contains the same red wire as the wall switch box does. The fan wiring harness should also have 1 black and 1 blue wire. Need confirmation on this?