Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

After lightening strike hardwired doorchime (stock 96949

Customer Question

after lightening strike hardwired doorchime (stock 96949 Sears circa 1990) no longer works. Can this be repaired? Supposedly it can be installed for battery only operation only 2) installfor transformer only operation or 3) install for operation with both battery and transformer.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: since Christmas. Can we get a motherboard
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: this is model 746 69490 built 01/89 V16 watts 10
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If you have proof that a lightening strike caused damage to the chime, and the main electrical panel was not protected by a whole panel surge protector, a high probability that the chime's internal electronics were destroyed and needs to be replaced or a new unit will be required.

2) Since the chime was manufactured around 1990, most likely the model number has been manufactured retired. Doubt that you can purchase a replacement motherboard.

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)