Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

We just installed a swimming pool pump and motor and

Customer Question

we just installed a swimming pool pump and motor and electricity is getting to the water? what is wrong?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Per the National Electrical Code, all swimming pools require an equipotential bonding system to be installed.

2) This means that all metal parts of the pool, ladders, pumps, equipment, fences and/or metal structures all need to have a common bond to ground in order to reduce voltage gradients. In summary, your pool is not properly grounded and bonded, thus the reason that the water is providing possible shocks.

3) I recommend that you hire a local licensed electrician to install or quantify the bonding system. Proper grounding and bonding a swimming pool is not a project for a DIYer. You need a local licensed electrician to address and correct the problem. The pool grounding and bonding also need to be inspected and approved by a local electrical inspector.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cant afford to do that, that is why we are doing it ourselves. where can we start to trouble shoot. can i upload a picture of the current set up for you to view
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello?
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

1) If you can afford a swimming pool, you can afford a local licensed electrician to correctly install the NEC code compliant grounding/bonding system in my opinion. Some electrical projects should not be performed by a homeowner and this is one of those for safety reasons as you have just discovered.

2) Install a minimum of 8 AWG solid copper wire around the entire pool at 4 evenly spaced points and bond it to all nearby metal, pump, caged-in screen, metal ladders, metal pool handles, lighting niches, etc. within a 3 foot radius of these components. Bury the copper wire a 4 to 6 inches below final grade. If the pool is an underground type and also contains rebar, the grounding conductor is also required to be bonded to the concrete rebar.

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)