Experience:  dasdasd

My trailer lights work when connected to one car but not

Customer Question

My trailer lights work when connected to one car but not another. I tested the nonworking car's connector and all of the pins have power. Not sure what to do
Category: Electrical
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 3 months ago.
Hello this is HIC Expert, may I assist you today?
The first thing that comes to mind is the possibility the trailer ball is making ground but the other vehicle is not transferring ground from the tow vehicle thru the hitch to draw current to the lights on vehicle 2.
Is the second vehicle not used often or has it been used at all, is it set up with the new hitch that may have thick paint?
The way to test for that would simply be to make sure that there's exposed metal both in the receiver and the trailer ball. You said that you tested the terminals on the trailer plug but did you test them that they Kaman under the same functions . You said you choose to do you trailer plug on the vehicle but you dofft It is oh so possible that you have hotwire positive in the ground wire or negative running to each light, if that's the case then it's using plus the negative from the battery to run the lights in that really not using the ground other than the ground that the batteries connected to the chassis . No that is an excellent ground is just a current is drawn by the The ground the ground because it is the path of least resistance. When you tested for power to the trailer receptacle on your second vehicle did you test the sequence or the position of the pins to be electrify with the same process as in the other receptacle is , when you push on the break the same pins in the same location getting hard ball so you could have the ground wire in a different spot on the second
Are you still requiring assistance can I help you in anyway would you question answered did it work for you let me know I'll be happy to continue till you get your problem solved
Did you still need further assistance with your questions I'll be happy to continue helping you until you reach your solution my name is ***** ***** the exit I see contractor H I C expert I began helping you some days ago if you no longer need help when you please give me a rating of the able to help you.if it did not work for you I will continue to help you for no charge for we can have a phone call for another fee might make things a lot easier
Will you contact me again I'll be happy to further assist you to find out what the problem is there's no charge for additional time alone we keep at the text and answer one phone call we can negotiate them
If all four pins are supplying AC 12volts where is ground?
Did you check to see whether you have ground to the car chassis provided to the trailer either through a cable of Thru the tow hitch?You can run a negative wire from tow vehicle battery on the tow vehicle
Rather than relying on ground THRU the trailer ball as s connectionTry this connect your trailer plug to the vehicle that works but do not hitch the trailer up. With only wires connected see if lights remain working. If they don't then your connection tho the trailer iball receiver on other vehicle is not grounding properly.all you need to do is make sure your touching metal to metal between the vebicle
Available for more questions and help you find it or tell me more about it back to me and let me know that works.My name is ***** ***** free to contact me again until you figure out a solution.
thank you for calling JustAnswer