Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I accidently sprayed cat urine spray inside an electrical

Customer Question

I accidently sprayed cat urine spray inside an electrical outlet and heard a pop ands saw a spark
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Is this ok?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is this safe?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You didn't mention if the circuit breaker tripped or not? Most likely it did.

2) Since the receptacle came into contact with a liquid, I recommend to replace the wall receptacle. If leaving the original receptacle in place, it is subject to corrosion in the future. It is always recommended that any devices coming into immediate contact with a liquid be replaced.

3) Turn OFF the branch circuit breaker and remove the wall receptacle wires that are terminated to it one wire at a time and swing the wires over to the new receptacle. Replace the receptacle and then turn the circuit breaker back to the ON position and test the receptacle to make sure it is working OK.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Is there a time frame on that?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I test the receptacle?
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) Until the receptacle is replaced, I recommend to leave the branch circuit breaker in the OFF position for safety reasons. If there is any moisture present in the wall box, the arcing can re-occur at any time. Remove the damaged receptacle and allow the inside of the box to completely dry out before replacing with a new receptacle.

2) If you re-wire the replacement receptacle the same way the original receptacle was wired, then just plug in a table lamp or a radio to test it and you should be OK. Of course, the other option to test the replacement receptacle is to use a 3 prong plug-in receptacle tester.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)