ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.

I am having a Mitsubishi heat pump installed. What are the

Customer Question

I am having a Mitsubishi heat pump installed. What are the NEC requirements for sizing conductors, # ***** conductors, circuit protection, and a disconnect means (fused or non-fused)?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.
Welcome to
The NEC requires conductor sizing per the nameplate of the unit (s). This nameplate should include minimum circuit ampacity and maximum HACR Breaker or Fuse protection.
Each unit is required to have a Safety Disconnect (which can be fused or non-fused) within sight of the unit and readily accessible.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.
Per the code, the definition of "within sight" means not more than 50 feet from the unit.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.
A GFCI Protected Outlook is also required at each unit for new installations. For instance, if it is a split system, an outlet at the outside unit and an outlet at the inside unit.Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.
Electrical Outlet not Outlook, thanks
Expert:  ProGrade replied 3 months ago.
As far as number of conductors, this is dependent on whether this is single phase or three phase equipment & whether a neutral is required. Again, all of this information is on the unit nameplate as required. Generally, HVAC equipment never needs a neutral unless it is rated for 120 volts.