Papatrexas
Papatrexas, Electrician
Experience:  I am licensed General & Electrical contractor for more then 35 years with 40 years experience in the construction industry.
76133288

The electrical house plug-ins where we plug our electrical

Customer Question

the electrical house plug-ins where we plug our electrical devices, is it okay if clothing, plastic, wrapper, or paper/cardboard touches or covers the plug in socket? it wont cause a fire?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Flammable materials should never come into immediate contact with a receptacle or a cord plug.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i respect your expertise but i am not satisfied with the answer
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

No problem. I have opted out of the question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I agree with Kevin. Items mentioned are subject to be contributory to a fire if an electrical short or surge should after that outlet. A loose wire arcing can cause heat enough to melt the plastic of the device and start a fire. I had a fire job once where it happened in a motel with an outlet at mattress height that ended up totaling the room. Heed Kevin's advice.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 11 months ago.

Same here, Kevin is spot on. If your outlets are wired using the back stab method instead of the screw terminals, the risk is even greater...even if nothing is plugged in to an outlet, a heavy load downstream can cause problems if terminals are loose. Safety first. I submit that it is a best practice to follow Kevin's advice.

Between just the three of us that have chimed in, you are getting advice from over 100 years of experience. We have each seen a lot in those decades.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i was just trying to get peace of mind leaving my home on vacation. and what you are saying is that if some is leaning on an electrical plugin then that will cause a fire?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i admit i dont know squat about electricity

If anything flammable is against an outlet, you have an increased risk of fire. If you want peace of mind, don't place anything flammable against an outlet. Even bedding can be a risk.

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 11 months ago.

Hi This isCustomerand what you asking is?

Are electrical outlets safe to leave appliances connected and or things touching the plate if that is your question then yes it is safe.

Go and have a good time

Please remember to rate me using the stars at the top of the page.

That’s the only way I get compensated for my time and thank you for using this helpful site.

Have a good day.