Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Have a old spa outlet (220) that i want to use as a source

Customer Question

have a old spa outlet (220) that i want to use as a source for a subpanel for a small closet- any issues ? and what size panel to buy for 6 breakers
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. One problem with the proposed location. Code prohibits panels in closets. You'll need a 60A main lug panel otherwise.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ill call it a storage room my question is more about if i take those wires do i just wire them to the in lugs and then as 220 in will the power coming off the in be distributed as 120 through the breakers automatically? theres a murray panel at amazon that comes with 60 main and six breakers for 68 -sound like a deal?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

You'll need 2 hots, 1 neutral and a ground for 120/240V. And if you use my suggestion it will have to be SER cable. Storage room 30 inch wide left to right on panel and 36 inches in front.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the wires that were used to create the outlet for the spa to plug into wont work to heat the sub panel? and i will take your dimensions so indicate a clearance for access
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Didn't give me the count and wire size on the existing circuit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what size wires, count etc needed to pull from main to achieve legal plus 6 breaker config (1 ) being 220 balance 120- run is approximately 80 feet from panel. must wires be in conduit-other than risers to panels wire location under raised foundation
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

SER cable need not be in conduit. To feed a sub panel you need 4 conductors. 2 hots, 1 neutral & 1 ground wire. The size should be 3-#2Alum w/1-#4 alum.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
why aluminum and not stranded ? aluminum so much more expensive and locally only available in large spools
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

SER cable is a stranded aluminum conductor cable. It is allowed both interior and exterior and in wet or damp locations. The most common choice for a residendial sub feed. It is also the most cost effective choice.