Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I am replacing a receptacle with a switch and outlet to one

Customer Question

I am replacing a receptacle with a switch and outlet to one with a switch and GFI outlet. The current receptacle has a white wire on the left going to silver screw and black wire on left going to brass screw. and then black wire on right bottom brass screw with no wire on top right brass screw. The new receptacle has a silver screw on top (line) on left and brass (load) on bottom and on the right has a brass on top and brass on bottom. It also has two wires coming from the top back. (see pics). What is the correct wire configuration here? It doesn't look like there is a ground wire available.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The device wiring depends on whether you want the switch to be GFCI protected or not

Please advise

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The switch just goes to the bathroom fan, I don't think it needs to be. The outlet on the bottom of the receptacle needs to be GFCI protected
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is one more picture
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

OK, the tape is on the protected continuation of the circuit. The current wiring on the old device if to remain unprotected need to be connected with a pigtail to the un-taped terminations. Black wires to thegold screws and white wires to the silver screws. The wires for the fan need to have the white with the other whites and one black with the other blacks and one to the black wire to the light.