Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

In The Bedroom The Wall Switch Operates The Top Of Two

Customer Question

In The Bedroom The Wall Switch Operates The Top Of Two Separate Outlets While The Bottom Of The Two Outlets Remain Hot. There Is No Other Lighting In This Room. I Want To Add 4 Wall Sconces To Go On When I Turn The Wall Switch On. I See A Black, White & Red Wire In The Switch Box. Same In Each Of The Outlets Too. Is This Doable?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The black wire should be the hot and the red wire the switched hot. I suggest if you intend to use the red that the 2 outlets not be half switched. Should you want to use a dimmer which isn't allowed on a receptacle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just want to see the four wall lights go on when I turn on the switch It looks like all 12-2 wire in there now.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Should be 12/3 on the existing half switched receptacles

the other outlets may be 12/2. The lights need to run from the switched outlet boxes or the switch box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Yes it's 12-3. So all four lights should be wired to the switch box. How do I make the connection.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

In the switch box, remove the red wire Ans connect it to the black wires

connect the new black wire to where the red was. Connect the white to the other whites.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That seems simple enough. I'll also run 12-2 from the lights to the switch yes.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

That's correct. Code requires that you install an AFCI breaker on the circuit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think there is a 20 amp breaker in the box now.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Mike!Ill Let You Know How It Went Tomorrow.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Very good, you're welcome.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning Mike.... Ok.... There are three wires coming into the switch box. (I Said It Was Busy) all three black wires are connected to the top of the single pole switch & the red wire is connected to the bottom of the switch.... all the whites/grounds are tied together. (If I Take The Red Wire & Connect It To The 3 Black Wires) (& Connect The New Black To Where The Red Was....) (Like You Said) Wont That Blow The Breaker?????
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

No it won't. The blacks are all hots and by connecting the red to them the receptacles will not be split switched. By connecting the new black where the red was will now switch you lights.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I Did It Just Like You Said..... And The Lights Went ON!!!!The Outlets No Longer Switch On & Off....But Thats No Big Deal.Thank You Again For Your Help.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Anytime, you're welcome.