Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have three Hampton light and ceiling fans 10 years, they

Customer Question

I have three Hampton light and ceiling fans for past 10 years, they worked very well. Recently two of the units, the fan works and not the light. Replaced the florescent ring bulb, still no light.My electrician removed the ballast and connected the lamp through the ballast and the lamp works. He checked the voltage in the wires for the ballast, there was no power.In the third one there is no light or fan turning on. Appreciate your sugggestions
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Having 3 fans quit at the same time makes me think you had a voltage surge. Did anything else stop working? As far as the fluorescent lights, a ballast replacement would resold that issue. The 3 rd fan needs a receiver replacement. Below is where I suggest getting the components.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dear ***** all fans were not turned on at one time, we were trying one fan at a time. I did not notice anything unusual and the breakers did not go off. Do I get three Ballast and one receiver? Does the parts come with instructions? I am wondering when there is no power detected in the two wires from the fan to the Ballast and when the electrician connected the ballast to the power the light turned on. Is that possible?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My electrician is coming to morrow morning around 10.30
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
If he tested the incoming wire and had no power, he should have verified if the hot or the neural was open. No power is a connection failure ahead of the fan. If they are all on the same circuit, the open needs to be repaired. If you had 120V and functions in the fans didn't work it would require replacements of components. If there is voltage you need to locate where you have a bad connection. If only fans are dead check the switches first for voltage.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not mind a phone call with my electrician but he is coming 7/5 Tuesday at about 10.30. How to get in touch with you at that time?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
instruction for a telephone call
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

I'll send you the offer for phone service. Prior to his arrival accept it and I innicuate the call.