Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Pearl, can you first tell me how much it will cost me to

Customer Question

Pearl, can you first tell me how much it will cost me to talk with you or someone else? I'm not opposed to paying, but would like to know the cost up front.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: okay
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: we purchased a 5 year old Ryan condo/townhouse
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes - let me tell you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: okay
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Tell me what the question is.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Mike
Happy 4th of July
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I purchased a 5 year old Ryan Condo/Townhouse and want to change the light fixture in the eat in kitchen area
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I removed the existing fixture and the ceiling box had 2 red, 2 white, 2 black and 2 ground wires
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The 2 black wires were together and the black wire from the fixture was attached to one set of red/white wires and the same with the white wire from the fixture
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've attached the new fixture, but when I turn off the light switch (it's a 3 way) at either switch, the breaker trips
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The new fixture is currently on right now and is lit up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike - are you there?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

A happy 4th to you too. Simple job. You no doubt have 2 switches controlling the light. You need to look at the switches and tell me the wire colors on the gold screws. There are numerous ways, depending the person who installed them, they can be wired.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay - hold on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
one of the switches has a white wire connected to the bottom left screw. On the 2nd switch, I can't tell what color the wire is because it's painted....ugh
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Check the other switch. I need to know the screw color, gold or black, and the color of the wires on each.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the 2nd switch has a green screw on the bottom left and looks like a plain copper ground wire on it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
let me double check the first one
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my bad, they are both green screws - with ground wires - it's just the ground wires have paint on them. do you need me to pull the switches all the way out of the boxes (unscrew them?)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay - I pulled both switches out - the first one has top red - bottom black white
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2nd one has top black - bottom black red
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hope that helps
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay - 2nd one top screw on right side black with black wire - bottom screw on right side gold with red wire. bottom screw on left side gold with black wire
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
first switch - top right screw black with red wire - bottom right screw gold with black wire - bottom screw on left god with white wire
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took pictures - not sure if I can attach them or not. Let me know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike - are you still there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also, the breaker didn't trip with the original light fixture. do I have the wires from the new light fixture backwards on the ceiling wires?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
should I switch the wires from the fixture to the ceiling wires?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike - should I have one red matched to one white from the opposite set of wires? or do I put the red and white from the same set of wires together?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike - I would like a new expert to assist me because I'm sitting here waiting an hour.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I didn't ask top or bottom. U asked the colors of the screws. It is the determined factor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2nd one top screw on right side black with black wire - bottom screw on right side gold with red wire. bottom screw on left side gold with black wire
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had given you the screw and wire colors @ 1:30 pm
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also said that I have taken pictures of both switches. Is there a way to upload them to you?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike - I would really like to get on with my day. If you aren't able to help me, please let me get another expert to help me.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Stand by and I'll opt out.

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Temporarily back out each of the 3-way switches from the wall box but do not disconnect any wires. I need to know the wire color that is terminated to each 3-way switch on it's black screw. It will also be labeled as COM (common). Right/left and/or top/bottom screw colors don't' mean anything, I only need to know the wire color that terminates to each 3-way switch black screw?

2) Your previous comments as shown below are confusing. Which is it? How can the breaker trip yet the light works?

"I've attached the new fixture, but when I turn off the light switch (it's a 3 way) at either switch, the breaker trips"

"The new fixture is currently on right now and is lit up".

3) How was the original light fixture spliced to the ceiling box? Which wire colors were used? The original light fixture black wire was either spliced to a black or red house wire plus spliced to the house white neutral wire?

4) How many light fixtures are controlled by the 3-way switches?

5) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kevin. In the time waiting for Mike and subsequently having my question reassigned to you, I figured it out on my own. Thank you for your time. I will work with customer service to obtain my refund.