JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-
JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-,
Experience:  Journeyman Electrician, Lead Man (Sub-Foreman) at Romanoff Electric
93576554

I have to black wire and a wire coming from the wall that

Customer Question

I have to black wire and a cooper wire coming from the wall that was connected to my old cook !which black wire do i connect the red wire from my new cooktop
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Two back wire and cooper
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: All day lol
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just want to know which black wire to connect to the red
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/ Pearl, my name is***** and I will try to answer your electrical question today!

was the original cooking appliance 240 volts ? if it was, it's very likely that one of those black wires is one phase in a 240 volt circuit

Do you own a voltage meter, and are knowledgeable on how to use one ?

If your original cook unit was 240 volts and it sounds like the new one is as well, one black from the wall will go to the black of the unit and the other black from the wall will connect to the red from the unit, but we need to know the operating voltage of the old unit ( hence why you need to measure the voltage between the wall wires) and the new unit which if it has a red wire is likely 240 volts.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No o dont have one
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what should i do now! If i aend you a pic would that help

do you still have the old unit ?, there should be a nameplate rating on your old cooktop and your new one it should tell youy the voltage of each piece of machinery. failing that is the breaker that feeds this unit a 2 pole breaker in your panel ?

Any pictures you can upload would be most appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do! I will look
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I ccan't upload for some reason
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One of the black wires have red stripes on them would that suggest that one would go with red??

Can you find the nameplates I asked about, could just be white stickers.

As far as the red stripe goes it is likely for the red wire, does your old cook top have a red wire?

Again, is the breaker that feeds this in your electric panel a 2 pole( that means it takes up 2 spaces in your panel)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the old one has a red wire !
What do i look for in the nameplates? The breaker outside it's a 2pole

Thank you for the information, I was wondering the voltage, because you said it's a two pole it means it's a 220-240 volt unit which is good. Okay so yes, hook the black in the wall to the black in the unit and the black with a red stripe to the red wire from the unit, and copper ground to the ground of the unit. Turn the breaker back on and let me know if it works. That should do it, let me know if you have any problems as the thread will remain open, please do not forget to rate me , and have a happy holiday !

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok my dad just told me the new cook top has a white so!r we going to black with red stripes with red, and black with black,and white and cooper to the copper right?

We may be in trouble, I need the make and model number of this unit , A white wire generally means it requires a neutral wire to be ran from the electric panel (white wire) hooking the copper wires to the white wire is a code violation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
G7ce3034xs00
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Whirlpool
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pic

Yes, I found the installation manual online. You will need to check the amperage on the sticker/ nameplate for the amperage this unit draws, it's probably under 40 amps, as the installation manual has no wire size requirements you will likely have to run #8 (3 wire plus ground = total 4 conductors )from your panel to your new unit, because this unit require a neutral wire that your wall does not have in it . are you going to be able to buy a 8-3 cable and run it to your electrical panel (fish the old cable out tie the new cable to it) you will have to buy one from a home center like lowes or Home Depot or an electrical supply shop. This is the answer, I'm sorry your existing wiring is not up to the new unit , and it would be a code violation to hook the bare copper wires and the white wires together.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would it work like that for the time being so we could cook on it?? Since its the HOLIDAY wkn before we can fix it

It would theoretically work, but if anything happens to the internal circuitry and there is now a parallel grounding path, the circuit breaker may not function correctly and it could damage the equipment and be a life threatening situation. In the old days during WW2 to save resources on laundry circuits they allowed dryers to have their white wires connected to the metal enclosure of the unit, and they did work, but at potential of electrical shock if the metal enclosure became energized. SO it would be my suggestion not to do this, but if you have to have it operate it should work, be extremely cautious.

It's been a few days, I'm just checking in to see if all is well, and if you need any further assistance. The thread will remain open for a short time more before it times out, please don't forget to rate me, and if you have further questions do not hesitate to ask !