Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Pearl, I am replacing a double light switch (1961 vintage)

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl, I am replacing a double light switch (1961 vintage) with a modern switch. The wiring is completely different on the 1961 switch and the modern one. Also, all the wires are black. How do I wire up the new switches?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: thanx
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: One of the switches goes to the outside porch light and the other turns on a wall socket.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. How many wire and what are their colors? Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there are two black wires going into the top of each old light switch and one black wire from the bottom of one old light switch to the bottom of the other. I do not have a 2 wire tester. I can turn off the power, though. One light switch turns on the porch light and the other switch turns on a wall outlet.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

The wire connecting both switches is the hot wire. If I understood your question you are installing a double switch. If so, the hot wire terminates on the black screw and the remaining connect to the 2 gold screws.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, heaps.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Anytime, you're welcome.