Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have two 110 lines run in my 220 pump pool I have checked

Customer Question

I have two 110 lines run in my 220 pump for my pool I have checked both 110 lines and I have 120 V between ground and each leg but the pump won't run and I cannot get to 220 between the two hot legs what's my problem
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the circuit breaker a double pole type? Have you measured and confirmed for 240 volts across the double pole breaker?

2) How many amps is the breaker?

3) What is the FLA rating in amps on the pool pump? The FLA pump motor rating will be labeled on the pump motor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
120/230 volts
18.6/9.3 amps
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The breaker in house is two single 120 I beleave there was a 110 pump at one time. The other leg was the pool light. So it's been working fine for years until the double pole single throw switch used to turn off the pump started to intermittent not work so I went to locks supply and got a new box with double pole double throw breaker to use as a switch for the pool. Only I accidentally tied the neutral lines to. The ground. No matter it didn't work anyway. I can get 120V on each Leg coming into this new breaker switch but I didn't get 240 between then. So I check in the house and not there between the to 120 hot lines. I moved the two single breakers in the house to a 240 double pole double pole to see if my issue was one or both of the 120 breakers. The pump ran real rough for 5-10 seconds the quit. Now I'm not sure if that did something to the pump.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Is the pump motor wired for 120 or for 240 volts?

2) How many amps is the circuit breaker?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got it thanks you were a big help, I assumed it was wired for 230 but they had the two 110 legs in parallel so I changed the setting on the pump to 230 hooked up the 30 amp 230 breaker in the house and it's working great. I just need to add a GFI at the breaker in the house and I will be set.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Awesome. Good job on your part.

Yes, thus the reason I was asking if the motor was 120 or 240. Your 240V motor has an FLA rating of 9.3 amps. National Electrical Code recommends that th breaker be sized at a minimum of 250% of the FLA rating. Thus, 9.3 amps x 2.5 = 23.25 amps due to the "in-rush" current upon motor start-up. Therefore install the next trade size double pole breaker using 30 amps and 10 AWG copper conductors.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)