Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My smoke detector is making noise. It's totally random and

Customer Question

My smoke detector is making noise. It's totally random and it's a tapping/clicking sound. Almost like something is actually hitting the plastic cover.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Maybe an hour. It's only severe because I'm terrified it's a huge bug trapped in there trying to get out.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's pretty much it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the detector a battery operated or an AC voltage hard-wired model?

2) Look at the manufacturing label located on the back of the detector. What is the manufacturing date?

3) Have you tried to clean the detector with a vacuum cleaner?

4) If the detector is an AC voltage hard-wired type, un-plug it from the wiring harness and then re-plug it back. Does the clicking noise still resume?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's battery powered, and it's never been cleaned, as far as I know. I can't see a date on it from the floor, and I don't have a ladder or anything to get at it.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If it is only battery powered, remove the battery and clean it with a vacuum. Install a new battery and confirm if the clicking is still present. If still making noise, probably a stuck or defective relay. Throw it away and obtain a replacement detector.

2) In order to locate the date, the detector needs to be removed from the ceiling or wall. All smokes will contains a mfg label with the mfg date. If the smoke is 10 years old, throw it away and replace it with a new model. All smokes only have a 10 year life cycle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's probably not a bug trapped in there and trying to get out? :3
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Anything is possible, but somewhat doubtful it is a bug. The holes on a typical smoke detector face plate are fairly small for a bug to get trapped inside.

More than likely, the detector is either dirty or has a stuck/defective electronic part. You would need to remove it from the ceiling and perform a visual inspection to confirm if a trapped bug..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! I'll have to get someone with a step stool to come take a look at it. In the meantime, I'll just have to deal with the jumping at the noise and try to sleep. I feel better about it, though, now that I know it's probably just dirty or defective.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)