Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a GE Dishwasher and the power is not coming from the

Customer Question

I have a GE Dishwasher and the power is not coming from the circuit breaker to the Dishwasher. At the circuit breaker for the Dishwasher both incoming and outgoing wires are at 120 volts. The Dishwasher was tested by a technician and the dishwasher is OK but it is not getting power from the main circuit breaker.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model # *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The circuit breaker switch was changed to a new one with the same 20 amp. The dishwasher mechanic checked that the dishwasher circuit box and found that it was not getting 120 volts. But he ran a separate power source (plug socket in kitchen) and connected to input power of the dishwasher all the lights of the dishwasher was on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have an AC voltmeter (2 wire contact type) to take a voltage measurement?

2) The dishwasher is cord & plug connected to a wall receptacle, is that correct?

3) Is the wall receptacle protected by a GFCI? Any tripped GFCI's in the kitchen area?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1) Have an AC Voltmeter
2) The dishwasher cord is not connected to a wall receptacle but is connected to a box receptacle
3) Tripped GFCI is in the kitchen area near the Garbage Disposal.CAN I REQUEST YOU TO RESUME THE CHAT AFTER 60 MTS (around 2:30 PM EDT) AS I HAVE DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT? PLEASE CONFIRM.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Sure, that is not a problem. Just reply back to me when you can.

1) So you are saying that the DW Is hard-wired and does not contain a 3 prong cord, correct?

2) Have you tested all of the GFCI's and reset all of them? All working?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
will call you at 2:30 PM (EDT). In the meantime please let me know what points you want me to check at my end?
ThanksHarry
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

1) I need confirmation if the DW is hard-wired (spliced) directly to the house wires via a junction box or if it is plugged into a 3 slot grounded wall receptacle?

2) A box receptacle and a wall receptacle mean the same thing to me. Sounds like your DW is hard-wired and does not contain a 3 prong plug on the end?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1) It is not plugged to a 3 slot ground wall receptacle.
2) DW is hard wired.Please note that I prefer to chat with you at 2:30 PM (EDT) and not talk to you as I don't want to incur additional charges.ThanksHarry
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kevin,I am back to chat with you.ThanksHarry
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
CAN SOME ELECTRICIAN RESOLVE MY PROBLEM PLEASE???????????